Carplay issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Carplay issues

Numerous threads on the sluggish performance, weird beeps, unresponsive UI (when tracking music, etc). I'm in the 23 Type S, latest iPhone, all updates, wired carplay.

Today I tried an experiment. The issue happens for me more on the second trip of my day. Usually, when I first start the car, I let the infotainment boot up before plugging in the phone. However, I do this for my return home trip as well, only to experience worse performance.

See if flipping off the Bluetooth before driving helps. I did this and had no issues. Like anyone, the first thing I did to the car is pair the BT. However, for wired CarPlay - you DON'T need BT. I was not aware of this just because I haven't tried it and it's my first CarPlay vehicle.

My theory is that when starting the car, the system gets busy firing up CarPlay - while also doing some sync over the BT, as if Carplay doesn't exist.

My hope is some of you try this and we can see if things are better....
The following users liked this post:
Flapjackura (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhodge
Numerous threads on the sluggish performance, weird beeps, unresponsive UI (when tracking music, etc). I'm in the 23 Type S, latest iPhone, all updates, wired carplay.

Today I tried an experiment. The issue happens for me more on the second trip of my day. Usually, when I first start the car, I let the infotainment boot up before plugging in the phone. However, I do this for my return home trip as well, only to experience worse performance.

See if flipping off the Bluetooth before driving helps. I did this and had no issues. Like anyone, the first thing I did to the car is pair the BT. However, for wired CarPlay - you DON'T need BT. I was not aware of this just because I haven't tried it and it's my first CarPlay vehicle.

My theory is that when starting the car, the system gets busy firing up CarPlay - while also doing some sync over the BT, as if Carplay doesn't exist.

My hope is some of you try this and we can see if things are better....
Yep, I have posted about this in other threads. To minimize issues with the wired setup in my '21 model I have to wait until everything is up and running, especially onboard nav, before plugging in my phone. The Acura system struggles with bootup multitasking. To which I can relate; especially before I've had my morning coffee.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Yep, I have posted about this in other threads. To minimize issues with the wired setup in my '21 model I have to wait until everything is up and running, especially onboard nav, before plugging in my phone. The Acura system struggles with bootup multitasking. To which I can relate; especially before I've had my morning coffee.
I'm looking for more data on if turning off BT helps. I also have contacts sync turned on in BT settings. I'm going to turn that off and see if it helps.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:30 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm looking for more data on if turning off BT helps. I also have contacts sync turned on in BT settings. I'm going to turn that off and see if it helps.
It won't. They slapped a very shitty SoC in there and called it a day. 24 is a night and day different. Boots faster, works smoother.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
I have been trying various “approaches” to improving the CarPlay in our ‘22 TLX since the day we took delivery of our ‘23 MDX. The delta between those systems and their performance is significant, even beyond wireless Vs wired.

This afternoon I deleted my iPhone from the Bluetooth connection in the TLX. I also turned off my phone’s Bluetooth setting initially. I have turned it back on the phone, but no reconnection of Bluetooth to the car. Significant improvement in the CarPlay connection. Only drove five stops, so still experimenting, but CarPlay boots and connects much quicker. I did have an issue disconnecting a call initially, but not the second time.

Thanks for the tip. Forward progress it seems. Wonder if the Acura Wireless CarPlay adapter will address the conflict between Bluetooth and CarPlay.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Just ran another trip with perfect connection and boot up. Two items. 1. Still have the same “high frequency chirp” that happens when the first source played is CarPlay. A switch to Sirius and back seems to eliminate that. 2. The steering wheel button that accesses Siri doesn’t seem to boot up as quickly as the rest. Had to use the button on the side of the phone for my first request. Worked three minutes later.

Again, forward progress. Thanks again for the idea AdamHodge.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Same results here. Given the results, the system is struggling to boot with competing connections happening. I feel like they should fix it. Yes, faster hardware (likely '24 models) cures some evils. However, I don't think the hardware is so slow it can't be fixed in the code. The OS just needs to manage the process better.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Another setting to try. In the phone app. Go to settings, upper right. There is a setting "Auto Sync Phone". Turn it off and see how things run. For this test, I'm leaving bluetooth on. The phone will still work on the car side if needed. What you give up is contact syncing. However, my favorites are still there when this is off. Per the manual - this setting causes the address book and call history sync when the car starts up.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Professional Sh1tposter

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Same results here. Given the results, the system is struggling to boot with competing connections happening. I feel like they should fix it. Yes, faster hardware (likely '24 models) cures some evils. However, I don't think the hardware is so slow it can't be fixed in the code. The OS just needs to manage the process better.
unfortunately the hardware is just that slow